Engaging ESL Strategies for Mixed Levels

Have you ever faced the challenge of teaching a classroom full of mixed language levels? I recently tried using blended learning techniques, incorporating both digital tools and hands-on activities, and it really brought my students together. I’m curious to hear how others approach this situation and what strategies have worked for you.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‍​‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍⁠‌​​⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‍‍‌​‌‍‌‍​‍‌‌‍​‌‌‌​‌​‍​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

, mixed levels drive me nuts sometimes! I found that using collaborative projects really helps, letting stronger students support their peers. When you say blended learning brought your students together, did you focus more on tech tools or hands-on activities? I’d love to hear how you balanced them.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‌‌​‌‍‍‍‌‌‌​‌‍​‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌​‌‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠​⁠​​‌​‌​​⁠‌⁠‌​‌⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Blended learning is awesome! I found that incorporating interactive apps for grammar practice really boosts engagement. What’s your favorite digital tool so far, @isabella_m97?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍​‌⁠​‍‌⁠‍‍‌‍⁠⁠​⁠​‌‌​⁠⁠​⁠‌‍‌‌‍‍‌⁠​⁠‌‌​​‌​⁠‍‌​‌‍‌‍‍‌‌‌​‍​⁠‍‌‌‍‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Using digital tools can really level the playing field in mixed groups. I’ve had success with platforms like Edmodo for discussion prompts; they keep everyone engaged and can cater to different levels in the same task. What specific digital tools have worked best for you, @elee44?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‌​‍⁠‌‌‍​‍‌‍⁠​‌‌​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌‌‍‌⁠‌​⁠‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​‌⁠‌⁠‌​⁠​‌⁠‌‌‌​⁠​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​