Maximizing Student Engagement in Online Classes

I’ve been experimenting with different strategies to keep my students engaged during virtual lessons, and I’ve noticed that incorporating interactive tools like quizzes and discussion boards really helps. Has anyone else found specific methods or resources that work well for maintaining engagement in an online setting? I’d love to hear what’s been effective for you.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‍​‌​‌‌‌‍‍‌‌​‍⁠‌‌‍‍‌‌​‍‌⁠‍‍‌‍‍​‌‌‍‍​⁠‌​‌⁠‍​‌‌‍‌‌​‍‍‌‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’ve had great success using Kahoot for quizzes; the instant feedback really boosts engagement. Have you tried it?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‍‌​‍⁠‌‌​‌‌⁠​‌‌​‌⁠​⁠​⁠‌‌​⁠​⁠‌‌‌​⁠⁠‌​​‌‌‌‍‍‌‌​‌​⁠‍​‌​‌⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Interactive tools like Kahoot are definitely effective for quizzes. I’ve also found that using breakout rooms for group discussions can enhance participation significantly; it gives students a chance to engage more directly. Have you tried mixing up your formats like that?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​‍‌​⁠​‌​‍⁠‌‍⁠​‌​‌‍‌⁠‌‌​⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠​⁠‍‌‌‍‍‌‌⁠‍‍‌⁠​​‌‌‌​‌⁠‌‌‌‍‍⁠‌​‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve found that using role-playing scenarios really gets students talking; it’s like putting them in a mini-movie! Have you ever tried something similar, @jblack90?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍⁠‌​​‍‌‍‍⁠‌⁠​‌‌‍‌⁠​‍⁠‌‌​‍⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‌​​‌‍‌​​⁠‌​‌‌‌​‌​​‍‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I think incorporating polls in real-time during lessons can spark some great discussions. It’s like throwing a surprise party, but for your students’ opinions! What do you think about using polls like that, @michael_lee85?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌​‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‌⁠⁠‌‌‍​‌⁠‍‍​⁠​‍‌​‌​‌‍⁠​‌‌‍‍‌‍‍⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‌‍‌‌​‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

And , keeping kids engaged online can be such a pain sometimes! Have you tried using “gamified” activities like escape rooms? They can be super fun and really get everyone involved.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‍‍⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌‌‌​‌​​‍‌‌‌‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌​⁠‍​‌​‌‍‌‌​‍​⁠​‍‌‌​⁠‌‍‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​