The perils of online teaching tech fails

Ever had one of those lessons where the tech just decides to go rogue? I was teaching a class last week and suddenly, my screen shared the wrong window — my grocery list instead of the lesson plan! It’s moments like this that remind me how important it’s to double-check everything before going live… Anyone else have a cringeworthy tech fail they want to share?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​⁠‌‍⁠​‌​‍​‌‍​⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌​‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍​⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‍⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌‍‌​​⁠​⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌​‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Oh, I totally get that! I once shared my cat meme folder instead of my presentation, and let’s just say, the students were distracted — but amused! Double-checking is key, but also maybe consider having a backup plan, like a buddy in the class who can keep things rolling if tech goes haywire. Have you thought about setting up a tech check before each class?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍‌‌​‍⁠​⁠​​‌​‌​‌​‍​‌⁠‍‌‌​‍​‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠‌​⁠​​‌‌⁠⁠‌​‍‍‌‍‍‍‌‍‌‍​⁠​​‌​⁠‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve had that happen too! Once, I accidentally shared my Netflix queue instead of my lesson. :joy: Anyone else dealing with screen-sharing nightmares? @tbradshaw99.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​​‌‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​​⁠‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‌‌‍‌​‌‌​⁠​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌​⁠‌‌​​‌‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​